To prepare the gel is easy, it takes just a few minutes to make a batch that can last you for weeks. When the mix has set you you just cut the gel into smaller cubes and store them in a plastic tub in the fridge for at least a week. For longer storage put them in the freezer. It keeps at least 6 months in the freezer.
We recommend that you don't make each batch too small (at least 2 tablespoons of Repashy gel powder). A small batch will mean a small amount of boiling water that cools too fast, and the gel will therefore set too quickly to mix properly.
A 85 g jar of the powder gives roughly 350 g or 400 ml of gel food. A 340 g jar of the powder gives roughly 1.4 kg or 1.6 l of gel food.
Prepare your Repashy food like this
- Bring water to a boil on stove, in microwave, or kettle
- Pour boiling water into a bowl and immediately stir in powder (1 part powder to 2-3 parts water), we recommend 2.5 times for the best consistency. You can also add other types of fish food like decapsulated brineshrimp, or fish medicin.
- Let cool or immediately pour into molds. You can also paste it on rocks and let set, or you can add a string to the warm gel and when it has set, hang it in the tank for tetras, livebearers, rainbows etc.
- Gel will set in about 30 minutes at room temperature
- Cut into pieces / squares or make into a slow release Jerky (see below), to feed directly to your fish
- Once made, gel should be treated as fresh food and can be refrigerated for a maximum of two weeks, or kept in the freezer for up to six months
To make Jerky / dried gel
- Prepare gel as above and cut the gel into small cubes
- Completely dry in oven or food dehydrator at 65°C (150°F). (8-12 hours typical)
Mixing Repashy Superfoods' products
Please note that all the different types can be mixed with each other. If you have red, orange, or yellow fish you can add in 10% of Redrum in your food. Redrum contains many types of carotenoides that enhances those colors.
NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!